Process of Replacing a Lost or Stolen Visa

Losing or having a visa, the arrival-departure records and passport stolen can be a major problem for the foreigner who is living or visiting the United States. It is important to know how to deal with this situation and what to do. One of the things that can be done to ensure you are following the proper process after one of these incidences, is consulting the Butte immigration lawyer. This is a major issue for the individual who is in the United States on a visa, since these are your legal documents to show you have permission of the USCIS and were approved for a visa to enter the country.

If you are in the United States and lose these items, you will be able to remain within the country for the duration of the stay that was authorized by the U.S. border patrol officer. This is Form I-194, which has the date of entry and the date you must leave the country by. These documents will need to be replaced as quickly as possible, the ones that are replaceable. Passports are not replaceable, while in the United States.

There are specific steps to take that will help in this situation:

1. Go to the police station and file a report of the documents that have been lost or stolen, and if possible provide the officer with copies of the original documents. Then you will be issued a police report of the incident and make a copy of this document to keep for your records.
2. Request a replacement of these documents with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS.) The form that will be filed with the USCIS is Form I-102, which is two pages, with five instructions.
3. You will need to report your visa has been lost or stolen to the U.S. Embassy abroad, which issued your visa. Fax them your full name, place and date of birth, your address in the U.S. and an e-mail address, if possible. The fax number can be found on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website.
4. It is impossible to apply for a replacement passport, while in the United States; you must apply in person at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad. Documentation will be required to prove the passport has been lost or stolen, including a copy of the police report.

If you have immigration lawyer questions to ask, it is important to consult a seasoned Butte immigration attorney. They will be able to explain the process and steps to take, to replace documents, other than your passport, to remain in the United States legally. The immigration lawyer advice can be a difference of being positive you have taken the proper steps or wondering if you have, since losing or having your documents stolen is not a common event. Not taking these steps, will mean that it can create problems, since you will not have any supporting documents to prove you are in the United States legally.