G-5 Visa Application Requirements

The G-5 visa is one that is issued as a nonimmigrant visa and permits attendants, servants or personal employees of other G classification visas to enter the United States to continue their services to the G-1, G-2, G-3 or G-4 visa holder and their family. The immediate family member of a G-5 visa holder also qualifies for this class. The employee filing for a G-5 visa will be required to work directly for the employer upon arriving in the United States.

The G-1 visa is also meant for, the purpose of travel to the United States for permanent mission members or representatives of a recognized government, who wish to travel to the U.S. temporarily. This can be a visa used to attend meetings of a designated international organization.

Applying for this visa the individual will have to complete and file a Form DS-156, nonimmigrant visa application.

  • They will be required to have a passport that is valid for travel to the United States, with a date that is at least six months beyond the individuals intended stay in the U.S.
  • A letter from the G visa holder will be necessary detailing their services or work.
  • Two photographs will be necessary, which are a full face view, without head covering and a light background.
  • The Consular’s office may require other documents be submitted in order to approve the visa for the applicant.
  • The visa will be issued, if approved for a period of three years, with extensions in two-year increments.
  • In some instances, the individual will not qualify for this visa and would qualify for a B-1 visa as a domestic employee, who works immediately for the employer.

1. There must be an employment contract that is signed by both parties in English, and it must be ensured that the employee completely understand the contract, their rights, their duties, salary and working conditions.
2. There must be a statement that indicates, both parties understand the employee cannot be required to remain upon the premises after their work hours are completed, without being compensated.
3. The employer must file a statement that they promise not to withhold the employee’s passport, visa or other documents.
4. The employee must file a statement that they will not accept other employment, while working for the employer.
5. There must be a guarantee that the employee will be compensated at the state or federal minimum or prevailing wage, whichever is the higher amount.
6. The employer must pay the domestic employees initial travel expenses to the United States and to the employee’s country of normal residence when the assignment ends, or if they are terminated.

Any questions about this process that is complex can be made smoother with the immigration lawyer Butte advice. Having any of the supporting documents or the application improperly filed will mean a hold-up in the approval of the G-1 visa or a denial. The immigration lawyer will have a complete understanding of this process and can advise the employer of the steps that are required to take.

Speak Your Mind